Lancaster "Queenie" ND392 (AR-Q) 460 Sqn RAAF, RAF Binbrook.
The painting depicts the events on the night of 22nd March 1944 at around 2200 hours, when the crew were nearly all killed after their Lancaster was attacked by a Ju88R north of Frankfurt. They managed to survive, deliver their bomb load over the target and return safely to base in their badly damaged aircraft.
Upon landing at RAF Binbrook, they found a tracer shell had made a furrow all along one fuel tank and had burned itself out, but not pierced the tank. If it had, the plane would have basically exploded with about 55% fuel as well as the full bomb load.
The Canadian mid upper gunner baled out and became a POW and the rest of the crew had no choice but to return to base as their parachutes were damaged. The tail gunner, who never saw the attacking night fighter, was badly wounded but survived.
The mainly Australian crew were decorated for their heroism; with Scottish Engineer Hendry, and W/Op Cochrane receiving the DFM for physically holding the plane together all the way home, as the pilot, Reg Mullins, was unable to fly the aircraft without their assistance.
Pilot: P/O R N Mullins - Engineer: Sgt W Hendry - Bomb Aimer: Sgt E Wilson - Nav: F/O J A Duckworth - W Op: Sgt D H Cochrane - MUG: Sgt H J Somers - RG: Sgt E Parry
Print method: Giclée
Number of prints in the edition: 100
Paper size: 18" x 14.75"
Image size: 16.5" x 11.75"
Paper size: 26.375" x 20.625"
Image size: 23.375" x 16.5"
Individually artist signed: Yes
Certificate of authenticity: Yes
CLICK HERE FOR SHIPPING RATES
WHAT IS A LIMITED EDITION GICLEE PRINT?
* High quality reproduction of an original painting, capturing accurately all aspects of the painted scene
* Produced on heavy weight archival grade 100% acid free media
* No more than the stated number of prints in an edition can be produced
* Your print number is unique (no duplicates) and form part of the edition
* The artist has numbered, signed, dated and examined each print in the edition
* An accompanying certificate is your guarantee of the prints authenticity
* All of the above add value to your print; the next best thing to owning an original painting
Share this product on social media...